Click here for the fully detailed, downloadable copy of our style guide.
Preferred Reference Materials
Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary (M-W), 11th edition or online, for spelling (first example)
The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th (CMOS-16) or 17th (CMOS-17) edition, for most other matters
AUTHORS: If you follow another, discipline-specific manual (AAA, APA, MLA) for your manuscript, indicate that style when you submit your manuscript.
WGFC uses Chicago Style author-date format (refer to Chapter 15 of the Chicago Manual of Style).
Text should be consistently double-spaced, with the following exceptions:
- Block quotations, table titles, and figure captions should be single-spaced.
- A prose quotation of five or more lines should be blocked.
- A blocked quotation does not get enclosed in quotation marks.
- An extra line space should immediately precede and follow a blocked quotation.
- Blocked quotations should be indented 0.5 inches as a whole.
Updated: January 2021